Natural materials are found in the form of fiber (wool, cotton, …) or filament (silk) in nature.
We can classify natural materials into two categories: those of plant origin and those of animal origin.
For materials of plant origin, we find:
- Cotton, derived from seeds
- Hemp and flax from stems
- Jute, ramie and raffia, derived from leaves
- Coconut, made from fruit
- Natural rubber, derived from sap.
And for materials of animal origin, we have:
- Wool that comes from the sheep
- Mohair and cashmere from the goat
- Alpaca that comes from the llama
- Camel hair
- Angora that comes from the rabbit
- Silk from the bombyx caterpillar.